What you think you are paying for:
- Someone to perform some music
What you are actually paying for:
- Someone to perform some music plus…
- Equipment and instruments
- Hours of rehearsal time
- Rehearsal space
- Transport to and from your venue
- The money spent on tuition and lessons to become the musicians they are
- Business administration and operating costs
- The percentage that goes towards income tax
- Any manager, agent or other booking fees
- Band equipment and public liability insurance
Not to mention…
- The payment also has to cover food, housing, bills and other living expenses.
So do you still think offering that “exposure” and experience is a fair price?
You wouldn’t expect a plumber, carpenter, hairdresser, electrician, doctor, dentist, optician, chef, mechanic, fireman, or shop owner to work for free would you?
Please be considerate of all musicians. You wouldn’t go to work for free. So why should they?